Fire Prevention Week

 

October 7th through October 13th is Fire Prevention Week


 
Each year, fires cause numerous deaths and millions of dollars in loss of property. Homes must have a good fire prevention program as well as a well-trained and well-equipped fire department. About half of all fires are caused by carelessness or lack of common sense. One out of ten is caused by cigarettes, matches, or other smoking materials.

Public education has brought great improvement in fire prevention in the United States and Canada. Many people have learned to take precautions against fire. Boys and girls in schools practice fire drills and learn how to prevent fires. They bring that information home to their parents. Each year, the President of the United States sets aside a week in October as Fire Prevention Week.

Woodrow Wilson proclaimed this entire week as Fire Prevention Week, to educate and keep people informed on how to be safe from the disastrous effects of fire.

Causes of Fires in the Home

Each person is urged to examine his own home, both inside and out, and to make it safe from fire.
Carelessness causes most fires in the home. Does your home pass this checklist?

Chimney Fire – can break out when too hot a fire is kindled in the furnace.
Attic Fire – can start when an overheated chimney ignites materials stored in an attic.
Fire Can Blaze Up in Paint Cans – if they are stored in warm basements.
Fire From Hot Ashes – can flare up when they are stored in an improper container.
Fire on a Workbench – can start if a connected soldering iron or wood burning tip is left untended.
Fire in a Closet – can begin when overloaded fuse box ignites clothes or rags.
Fire in Waste Paper – can begin if trash is stored carelessly in a basement.
Fire from Poor Wiring – in an appliance or wall can quickly spread to nearby curtains.
Fire in a Chair – can start when a careless smoker drops hot ashes.
Flashback Fire – starts when cleaning fluid fumes from a sink reach the furnace.
Closet Fires – can start when spontaneous combustion sets rags or mops on fire.
Fire in a Grease pan or Deep Fryer – on a stove can ignite nearby curtains.
Fire in a Wastebasket – can flare up if hot cigarette ashes are emptied into it.
Curtains or Furniture Can be Set Ablaze – by a child playing with matches.
Fire in Bedding – can happen when a careless smoker falls asleep in bed.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Categories: Emergency Preparedness, Family | 2 Comments

Post navigation

2 thoughts on “Fire Prevention Week

  1. petit4chocolatier

    Great reminder, thank you!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com. The Adventure Journal Theme.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 634 other followers

%d bloggers like this: