Recess At Work Day was founded by Rich DiGirolamo, who believes that a happy workplace is a productive workplace.
A temporary break from normal duties is just what the doctor ordered. If I’ve learned anything these past few days it’s to exercise, relax, laugh and relieve stress. Taking recess does all three.
- Take that team meeting to a coffee shop, amusement park or the beach
- Visit a local park. Play a little, and brainstorm a lot; that next big idea might occur during recess
- Celebrate with popcorn and cotton candy or something else your employees love
- You could always exercise as a group
- Create a company time capsule
- An ice cream social might be just what the team needs
- Play some good old outdoor games like tag, jump rope, or Frisbee. Amazing what a good game of follow the leader might teach you about your coworkers
- Grab a piece of chaulk and a stone and head out to the sidewalk for a game of hopscotch
- Set aside those spreadsheets and endless forms for some X’s and O’s in Tic-Tac-Toe
- Divide the office into teams and create your own Olympic events, such as office chair races