Today is National Peach Pie Day!
August is also National Peach Month and today id National Peach Pie Day, two holidays in August, so I thought I’d share a few of details surrounding the fourth popular fruit in the U.S.
- The peach, Prunus persica, is a deciduous tree, native to China, where it was first cultivated.
- China is the largest peach producer in the world, accounting for 50 percent of world production.
- Ranking fifth, China is not the world’s largest exporter of peaches.
- California produces more than 50% of the peaches in the United States (and grows 175 different varieties).
- So many peaches are grown in Georgia that it became known as the Peach State.
- Peaches are considered the “Queen” of the fruits and are second only to apples in popularity.
High quality peaches are firm and free from defects such as bruising and insect or disease damage. The best ripe peaches have a deep yellow or creamy white color. Green color indicates immaturity. Peaches harvested when too green may shrivel or fail to develop a desirable flavor upon ripening. The red blush makes the fruit attractive but may not be helpful in determining fruit maturity.
Peaches that cannot be consumed or processed immediately should be stored in an area with temperatures of 32 degrees F and high-humidity (a home refrigerator may work well). It is best to use or process the fruit as quickly as possible since it is highly perishable under high temperatures and not well suited to prolonged cold storage (no more than 14 days).
Fresh peaches provide a respectable amount of the antioxidant vitamins A and C in addition to potassium and fiber.
As a side note:
- Nectarines can be used in the same way as peaches, and may be considered as substitutes for peaches. The only difference between peaches and nectarines is the lack of fuzz on the nectarine skin. Nectarines tend to be smaller and more aromatic than peaches and have more red color on the fruit surface. Nectarines provide twice the vitamin A, slightly more vitamin C, and much more potassium than peaches.
Peach Pie Recipe:
Homemade peach pie is a summertime favorite. This is the perfect Peach Pie Recipe for any summer picnic, BBQ or party.
Since today is also National Waffle Day how about a nice Caramel Peach Sauce to spoon over your homemade waffles, I grabbed this from Miss Martha herself.
This unit is the best thing to bake in. Your home doesn’t get hot, it uses less energy then your oven, it’s fast and it has a great money back guarantee if your not satisfied.